Account Takeover Via Modifying Email ID — Codeigniter Framework Through 3.0.0
Hello Members, I am Vishal Bharad. Works as Security Researcher and pursuing OSCP. Here I am Back with another Interesting blog on Full Account Takeover Via Modifying Email ID.
Vulnerable Product — Codeigniter 3.0.0 (Authentication) Web Application Framework
Vulnerability Type — Insecure Permissions
Affected Component — Login page form.
Attack Type — Remote
Impact Escalation of Privileges — true
Here in Authentication Library there are many Simple, Fast and Lightweight auth codeigniter.
-Ban, Unban user
-Register new user sent to email token
-Role user level — Vulnerable Feature
-Edit user profile
-Gravatar user profile
-Recaptcha by Google
-And much more
Core Authentication Features
- User Authentication (User Login)
- Access Granted by Level / Role — Vulnerable Feature
- Access Granted by Role Group — Vulnerable Feature
- ACL for Finer Controlled Permissions
- Limits Failed Login Attempts
- Limits Login to a Single Device (Default)
- Deny Access by IP (Requires Local Apache Configuration File)
- Persistent Login (Remember Me) (Turned Off by Default)
- Forgotten Password and Username Recovery
Tools Used for this Vulnerability:
Steps to Reproduce:
It Starts With Login Page which is as shown in Below Image.
- There are two account email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attacker can log in with email@example.com account and He got an page to select role of the user.
3. while selecting role capture the request in Burp suite.
4. Now You got an Email ID to and User Role in Request.
5. Change the Email id to victim mail id i.e firstname.lastname@example.org and forward the request.
6. Boom….. You can now able to login with an any victims account.
Looking forward to share more blogs
Linkedin Profile : https://www.linkedin.com/in/vishal-bharad-b476b388/